Let’s create a spectacular volcanic eruption while exploring the chemistry of materials! Then, we add a Lego assembly of our volcano and have guaranteed fun!
Materials you will need:
- Legos Duplo
- baking soda
- red food coloring
- Dishwashing detergent (liquid or powder)
- cup (plastic or paper)
- tray (where we will assemble the volcano and will serve to contain the liquid spilled during the volcanic eruption)
Let’s do it!
Ask an adult to help you with this experience.
- On top of the board, build a volcano with the legos, placing the cup in the center.
- With the volcano prepared, let’s take the first ingredient, the baking soda. Put two tablespoons of baking soda into the cup.
- Then add about a teaspoon of washing-up liquid.
- Add a teaspoon of red food coloring.
- Put vinegar in a glass.
- The eruption is almost done! Pour the vinegar into the center of your volcano and see the result! Have fun!
Watch our volcano video and see how funny it is! Now try it yourself!
Let’s find out more:
Why did the eruption happen?
When added vinegar and baking soda, a gas known as carbon dioxide is released. It’s the same gas you release when you exhale!
Dishwashing detergent helps make more suds, so the effect is even more spectacular!
Esta publicação também está disponível em: Português